REMINDER: Leap Second

Barney Wolff barney at databus.com
Mon Jan 26 08:36:41 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 06:42:51PM -0500, TR Shaw wrote:

> That made the transformers smaller/cooler and more efficient. I seem to remember a 195 as well but maybe it is just CRS.

Google says the 360/195 did exist.  But my baby was the 360/95,
where the first megabyte of memory was flat-film at 60ns, which
made it faster than the 195 for some things.  It was incredibly
expensive to build - we heard rumors of $30 million in 1967 dollars,
and sold to NASA at a huge loss, which is why there were only two
built.  I used to amuse myself by climbing into the flats memory
cabinet, and was amused again some years later when I could have
ingested a megabyte without harm.  Ours sat directly above Tom's
Restaurant, of Seinfeld fame.  Very early climate modeling was done
on that machine, along with a lot of astrophysics.