link monitoring and BFD in SDN networks

Sudeep Khuraijam skhuraijam at liveops.com
Thu Jan 22 19:32:10 UTC 2015

Gents,

We need to separate the context of fast reroute via control plane topology
map vs local link protection with OAM at mac/phy sub-layer and time frames
at which they are relevant.
There are efforts going on at the media level but then there are current
solutions that are media and encapsulation independent which need to be
juxtaposed to the SDN paradigm.

Going back to the original question that Glen posed, it is more a question
on implementation complexity.
The more state machines that are pushed down to the Nodes in SDN network
away from the control plane, the more cost and barriers to entry for OEM
products, inter-op issues etc.
Now looking squarely at BFD, the popular application is bootstrapping BFD
link state to routing topology and peer pathway which may traverse
multiple nodes/switches/media and encapsulations.
BFD is a next hop communication failure detection mechanism which may
itself rely (bootstrap) on routing topology to find alternate paths and is
therefore a larger time frame event than a phy/mac sub layer protection,
and is media/encapsulation independent.  And the fact that such a state
change will have a high probability to trigger a topology/network  wide
event (if not less need to run BFD) makes it a controller centric state
which it needs to bootstrap its routing services on.  Link layer OAM on
the other hand may be a mechanism that protects the BFD event from
triggering.

Further, BFD will enable faster end to end connectivity
communication/reachability  detection than hold down timers allow on
hardware that do not support OAM features.  Finally the scale at which BFD
is used is far less than the number of links. I.e if you have a 10K port
network, you are likely using BFD on a few tens maybe (for Datacenters)
and the timescale is typically in the 100s ms which any control plane
software module can handle at large scale and should be run just like any
hello protocols for routing services. Link layer state machines on the
nodes on the other hand operate in the sub 1ms timeframe.  It is an
overhead, but an insignificantly small tax.

Cheers,

Sudeep Khuraijam