HTTPS redirects to HTTP for monitoring

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sun Jan 18 18:55:02 UTC 2015

>> I expect your users would fire you when they found you'd blocked access to
>> Google.
>>
> And they would sue you for gross negligence for decrypting their ssn when
> access company  payroll and cpni data

May I suggest that playing Junior Lawyer on nanog rarely turns out well.

These filter boxes are typically used on private enterprise networks.
Companies have broad latitude in what facilities they provide to their
users, and the rationales for filtering run from keeping out malware to
keeping dimwit guys from porn sites that are fodder for hostile work
environment claims.

Your employer alrady knows your SSN and payroll data.  Unless, I suppose,
you're using your computer at one job to moonlight at another, but you're
not going to get a lot of sympathy for that.

There are also ISPs that provide intrusive filtering as a feature.  I
wouldn't use one, but I know people who do, typically members of
conservative religious groups.

R's,
John