Recommended L2 switches for a new IXP

Marian Ďurkovič md at bts.sk
Sat Jan 17 11:02:33 UTC 2015

Last year we installed four 1RU TRILL switches in SIX - see
  http://www.six.sk/images/trill_ring.png

Our experience after 100 days of production is only the best -  TRILL setup
is pretty straightforward and thanks to IS-IS it provides shortest-path
IP-like "routing" for L2 ethernet packets over any reasonable topology
out of the box (without the burden and cost implications of VPLS).
Trident ASICs perform deep packet inspection so ECMP loadbalancing based
on L3 and L4 headers inside TRILL-encapsulated packets works for both IPv4
and IPv6. Port-security is supported on physical ports as well as on LAGs
- and L4 access-lists could be applied at the same time.

As most 1RU switches are based on Trident ASICs, you just need to pick
a vendor which implements TRILL properly and of course thoroughly test
before deployment. We selected Huawei Cloud Engine 6850 boxes.

Regards,

   M.