VDSL CPE Mixed Results

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Wed Jan 14 22:08:04 UTC 2015

We've used a few Zhone ETHX-344x4 (http://www.zhone.com/products/ETHX-3400/) and been happy with the reliability.  Configuration was a bugger, but if you get one of those I can share my template.

Frank

-----Original Message-----
From: NANOG [mailto:nanog-bounces at nanog.org] On Behalf Of Stetson Blake
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 8:29 AM
To: nanog at nanog.org
Subject: VDSL CPE Mixed Results

Hey All,

We have been deploying Adtran 838(shdsl) and 868(dsl) units in our metro
area with mixed results. The devices themselves are reliable and secure
it would seem, but the speeds were are able to get are not. ie. we have
deployed 'vdsl' and needed 3 lines to get up to 10x10 speeds. We are
using an Adtran TA5000 on the other end to terminate our connections.
The distance between the site and CO is not great (under 6k feet). What
gives? Are we provisioning wrong, using the wrong equipment, or a
combination of both?
If we were able to get the speeds others have been reporting from VDSL,
life would be great.
Anyone feel free to contact me off-list or on, this has had me
scratching my head for a while now.

Thanks,

--
Stetson Blake