Recommended L2 switches for a new IXP

Justin Wilson - MTIN lists at mtin.net
Mon Jan 12 15:34:21 UTC 2015

Like Mike says, it depends on your market.   Are these markets where there are existing exchanges?

Cost per port is what we always look at.  If we are going into a market where there won’t be much growth we look at Cisco and Force 10.  Their cost per port is usually cheaper for smaller 10 Gig switches. You need something that is fairly robust.

Reliability in an exchange is a key component.  If you go with a non-chassis switch make sure you have redundancy in your design.  We like Chassis based switches because they tend to be more robust.  But thats just my take on it.

Justin

---
Justin Wilson j2sw at mtin.net
http://www.mtin.net
Managed Services – xISP Solutions – Data Centers
http://www.thebrotherswisp.com
Podcast about xISP topics
http://www.midwest-ix.com
Peering – Transit – Internet Exchange