DDOS solution recommendation

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at arbor.net
Sun Jan 11 09:24:48 UTC 2015

On 11 Jan 2015, at 13:30, Ammar Zuberi wrote:

> I've done a lot of research into how these attacks actually work and
> most of them are done by kids who don't really know what they're
> doing.

The really sad part is that in a huge of the cases we see, the attacks
are hugely disproportionate - so many
servers/services/applications/networks are so brittle and fragile and
non-scalable that only a fraction of the pps/bps/cps/qps generated by
the attackers would take them down, anyways.

Even worse, the attackers who don't know what they're doing routinely
achieve their goals, anyways, due to the above plus the unpreparedness
of the defenders.  I've only run across a handful of organizations which
proactively took appropriate defensive measures; most only do so in the
aftermath of a successful attack.

It's easy to be an Internet supervillain.