MPLS VPN design - RR in forwarding path?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Jan 2 18:26:58 UTC 2015

On Friday, January 02, 2015 03:54:32 AM Jeff Tantsura wrote:

> You don't need LDP on RR as long as clients support "not
> on lsp" flag (different implementation have different
> names for it)

The hack needed when running a Junos-based RR in an MPLS
network to allow route reflection of l3vpn routes on an RR
not running MPLS.

For IOS and IOS XE (and IOS XR, I think), this wouldn't be
needed as unlike Juniper, Cisco don't treat MPLS signaling
protocols as (pseudo) routing protocols.

> There are more and more reasons to run RR
> on a non router HW, there are many reasons to still run
> commercial code base, mostly feature set and resilience.

+1.

Mark.