MPLS VPN design - RR in forwarding path?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Jan 2 18:24:05 UTC 2015

On Thursday, January 01, 2015 11:37:25 PM Baldur Norddahl
wrote:

> Is there a good reason to use actual router hardware for
> the route reflector role?

Nope.

It used to be code maturity - but major vendors are
supporting service-grade code on VM's.

> Even a cheap server has more
> CPU and memory. If it is not in the forwarding path,
> this is a computing task - not a move  packets  at line
> speed task.

Agree.

> Are anyone using Bird, Quagga etc. for this?

Wish I could - to be honest, these don't give me enough
comfort for a production network.

We use Quagga on FreeBSD for Anycast-this-&-that - from that
experience, I'd not use it for backbone routing. YMMV.

Mark.