Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Sat Feb 28 19:05:47 UTC 2015

Jack Bates wrote:
> On 2/28/2015 10:28 AM, Scott Helms wrote:
>> Steve,
>>
>> My point is that for lots and lots of people their uplink is not "so
>> low".
>> Even when I look at users with 25/25 and 50/50, many of the have been at
>> those rates for >3 years we don't see changes in traffic patterns nor
>> satisfaction as compared to users at similar download rates but lower
>> uplink rates as long as we don't go below ~5 mbps on the uplink.
>> On Feb 28, 2015 10:46 AM, "Steve Clark" <sclark at netwolves.com> wrote:
>>

> It's not just about what's available, though. it's also about the
> users themselves. Usage of the average 80 year old is different than
> the average 40 year old. The current teenager definitely has different
> usage.

That's a good point.  (IMHO) email became a big market driver when
students started graduating college and lost their email access. Today,
students go to college, experience dorm rooms with gigE jacks in their
dorm rooms connected back to high speed backbone nets.  And they've been
doing that for a decade.

Miles Fidelman