Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Sat Feb 28 17:24:23 UTC 2015

On 02/27/2015 04:49 PM, Stephen Satchell wrote:
> So did I. Also, do you recall that the FCC changed the definition of
> "broadband" to require 25 Mbps downstream? Does this mean that all
> these rules on "broadband" don't apply to people providing Internet
> access service on classic ADSL?
The FCC regulations do not have to use consistent definitions (and many
times definitions are not consistent!); the local-to-the-section
definition usually (but not always; it's always up for interpretation at
hearing time!) trumps any other.  The local definitions for the context
of 47CFR§8 are found in §8.11, and do not mention required bandwidth.
It seems to include any 'eyeball' network, regardless of bandwidth.  The
definition in 47CFR§8.11(a) is classic FCC wordsmithing.

Think of 'scope of definition' as being similar to 'longest prefix
matching' in routing, and it will be clear what is going on here. Hint:
a particular section of the Rules can hijack a term out from under the
general definitions, much like prefixes can be hijacked out from under
their containing prefix.  The difference is that in the Rules, a
particular paragraph or subparagraph can hijack a term and say 'for the
purposes of this paragraph, term 'A' means the opposite of what it means
everywhere else' and that definition in that scope will stand the test
of hearing.