symmetric vs. asymmetric [was: Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality]

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Sat Feb 28 14:19:09 UTC 2015

WiFi also has 50% overhead, so cut all modulation rates in half. That 300 meg modulation under the best conditions only does 150 megabit aggregate.

The problem with WiFi is that IEEE keeps rolling out larger and larger channels when they're not even usable due to interference. IEEE needs to implement AP syncing and *SMALLER* channels. let hte AP dynamically control the size of the channel as needed. Only have a 25 meg Internet service? Use a 5 MHz channel, not 160 MHz.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com