symmetric vs. asymmetric [was: Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality]

Naslund, Steve SNaslund at medline.com
Fri Feb 27 23:09:32 UTC 2015

Completely wrong.  Sorry, but most network traffic is not symmetric.  In corporate environments traffic flows much more heavily from server to client.  Home networks are very highly asymmetric because upstream you see URL requests and downstream you have media streams.  PON networks were designed so that the carrier can deliver internet and video services to you.  The network was designed to deliver content to you not from you.   Carrier grade gigE switches are not the issue, the issue is effectively getting the consumer what they want without super expensive CPE or overbuilding the network.

Most consumers care about fast download speed so they can watch content.  Period, this is a fact.  Of course there are other cases but networks are designed to provide the services that the consumer wants.

I can't believe that this is so hard to understand.

Steven Naslund
Chicago IL