Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality

Scott Helms khelms at zcorum.com
Fri Feb 27 22:19:00 UTC 2015

"I don't know that price is the problem with carbonite, or any backup
solution.
I think most folk don't see why they OUGHT to backup their
pictures/etc... until they needed to get them from a backup :("

Are you really trying to say they wouldn't get more customers if they could
lower their prices or alternatively increase marketing?

"I doubt it's 15%, if it is... wow they seem to be doing it wrong."

I invite you to try and do some of the programming tricks needed to work
around NAT and the ongoing costs needed to run an external set of servers
just to handle session state.  15% is probably underestimating the costs,
but I don't have hard numbers to be any more precise.

"this is a point problem (backup for carbonite), there are lots of
things that work 'just fine' with NAT (practically everything... it
would seem) I'm not sure digging more into why carbonite/etc are
'hard' (because they aren't, because they are working...) is helpful."

Just because it's easy for you, doesn't have a thing to do with the effort
that the Carbonite engineers and software folks had to put in to make it
easy.

"I can imagine that, I have that silly thing that my dsl modem does
(zeroconf or whatever crazy sauce my windows ME desktop does to tell
the 'router' to open a port so johnny down the street can chat me).'

Wait, are you really running Windows ME????

"folk could deploy v6 though, eh? it's not costing THAT much I guess if
they can't get off their duffs and deploy v6 on the consumer networks
that don't already have v6 deployed.

You can't be all: "NAT IS HARD!!! AND EXPENSIVE!!!" and not deploy v6."

You're misunderstanding, IPv6 is expensive for the carriers and NAT is
expensive for the OTT service providers and software companies.  Both are
hard and expensive, but to completely different groups.  This is why
Netflix, Google, Carbonite, Spotify, and host of other content or OTT
services want the carriers to deploy IPv6.  It's also why the carriers have
been less than enthusiastic.  They get the bulk of the cost while others
get the bulk of the benefits.

"Frankly, SBCs exist for a whole host of reasons unrelated to NAT, so
that's a fine red herring you've also brought up."

No, it's not.  SBCs can and do a lot more than NAT transversal, but the
reasons that SIP operators of any scale can't live without them is NAT.
Anyone who tells you differently is misinformed

Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology
ZCorum
(678) 507-5000