symmetric vs. asymmetric [was: Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality]

Scott Helms khelms at zcorum.com
Fri Feb 27 21:16:52 UTC 2015

Hardened carrier grade Ethernet gear appeared quite a time after PON gear
did and until we got gear that could be deployed in cabinets the cost of
the fiber plant being back hauled to the CO was much more expensive.

Google decided to do GPON purely because of cost, they really wanted to do
Active Ethernet but the economics didn't work out.

"Can we remember that most corporate and campus (and, for that matter home)
networks are symmetric, at least at the edges."

Only if we're talking about Ethernet, your WiFi network is almost never
symmetrical.

Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology
ZCorum