Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Feb 27 20:36:38 UTC 2015

On Fri, 27 Feb 2015 19:32:38 +0000, William Waites said:

> for them to upload their photographs. Multi-party videoconferencing
> doesn't work well unless at least one participant (or a server) is on
> good, symmetric bandwidth.

There's no need for good symmetric bandwidth.  There's just need for good
bandwidth.  If my video requires 5MBit/sec in each direction, I only need
5MBit/sec in each direction.  So provisioning a 50/10 that has at least 5 idle
on both sides is suitable, but a 50/50 that only has 3 available on one side
because somebody else is using 47 for other stuff isn't suitable.

Now, if all you use the circuit for is videoconferencing, then yes, you'll
end up with effectively needing near-symmetric bandwidth.  However, I'm not
seeing any reason to expect that we're going to move away from downstream-heavy
applications anytime soon.