Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Feb 27 18:54:47 UTC 2015

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 1:34 PM, Mel Beckman <mel at beckman.org> wrote:
> On Feb 27, 2015, at 9:56 AM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us>
>  wrote:
>> Deceit is Bad Behavior. If you sell me an X megabit per second
>> Internet access service, you should do everything reasonably within
>> your power to make sure I can access the Internet sites of my choice
>> at X megabits per second.

> This is not feasible. ISPs work by oversubscription, so it's never possible
> for all (or even 10% of all) customers to simultaneously demand their full
> bandwidth. If ISPs had to reserve the full bandwidth sold to each customer

Hi Mel,

Respectfully, that's a straw man argument. You alter the parameters of
my criticism then proceed to show how the altered argument is
unreasonable.

All utilities work by oversubscription: electric, natural gas, water
and sewer. When the sewer authority fouls up their oversubscription
model and your pee ends up in my basement, guess who pays for the
cleanup? They do.

I have some unfortunate first-hand experience with this.

> Anyone who doesn't understand [oversubscription]
> will be unable to engage in reasonable discussion about ISP practices.

You said it, not me.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us