Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality

Naslund, Steve SNaslund at medline.com
Fri Feb 27 17:40:53 UTC 2015

These standards are for the interoperability of the equipment between vendors.  There is no technical reason that you could not have one particular speed in one direction and any other speed in the opposite direction as long as you do not exceed the total bandwidth potential of the loop.  In fact, in the pre-standards days of DSL we could dial up any speed you wanted in either direction (because the DSLAM and CPE were from the same manufacturer).  In this case, the standard reflects what the customer wants, not a technical limitation.  If people want a different ratio of up to downlink speed it could certainly be done.  ADSL is by definition asymmetric.  We also sold SDSL which is symmetric service and the primary buyers were generally businesses.  See G.SHDSL  if you want a standard for symmetric DSL.  It's there, it is just not a popular.

Steven Naslund
Chicago IL