OT: VPS with Routed IP space

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Feb 25 00:45:43 UTC 2015

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 1:18 PM, Alex Buie <alex.buie at frozenfeline.net> wrote:
> Anybody know of or have recommendations for providers of small
> VPS-line boxen (or alternative solutions) to serve as GRE endpoints?
> (for a small amount of IP addresses, /29 or /28 at most)
>
> I am finding a lot of places that will give you extra IPs on the box
> itself (oftentimes out of the provider's own larger unsubnetted
> prefix) but I am looking more for a setup with a single IP on the box
> and a prefix routed to it.

Hi Alex,

You can usually deconfigure the extra IP's on the box and send them
down the tunnel. At worst you do a little proxy arp to tell the router
that your vps still serves those addresses.

You'll find providers are reluctant to assign /28's and /29's to
low-dollar VPS services.

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 3:29 PM, Zachary Giles <zgiles at gmail.com> wrote:
> How about VPS providers who will do BGP... Do they exist?

They do but it's BYOA and $10/mo generally doesn't cut it.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us