v6 deagg

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Feb 21 19:06:37 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 10:07 PM, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:
> but then we considered that v6 allocations seem to be /32s, and the
> longest propagating route seems to be /48, leaving 16 bits with which
> the deaggregators can play.  while in v4 it was /24s out of a /19 or
> /20, four or five bits.
>
> this does not bode well.

Howdy,

I took a look at what it might take to keep TE-based disaggregation
under control back in 2009. This is what I came up with:

http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/2009-June/014351.html

Needless to say, the sparse allocation expandable netmask strategy
we're using instead doesn't have many levers we can grab for control.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us