v6 deagg

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Feb 20 09:42:03 UTC 2015

On Fri, 20 Feb 2015, Saku Ytti wrote:

> Correct solution is not to use some so called 'strict' ipv6 filters,
> which break Internet, by not allowing discontinuous pops having
> connectivity.

Before, the practical level of de-agg was at /24 for IPv4. This meant only
larger organisations could do it.

With automation in the network space increasing, and with /48 being
justifiable to any site, and with /48 being the typical DFZ routing
filter, we now have the possibility of a lot more entities seeing IP
address based multihoming and "PI" being possible.

I don't like where this is headed. There are millions of entities that are
justifiable to announce a /48 into DFZ. Do we want this to happen?

By allowing it, we're not putting any pressure to invent solutions for
graceful address migration with continous services, and instead putting
the pressure on the DFZ infrastructure. Is this the correct tradeoff?

How many smaller than /32 in the IPv6 DFZ do we allow before we need to
start to worry? In these discussions I frequently interact with people who
don't want to limit things until they are actually a problem. So when will
this become a problem? 100k de-agged routes? 200k? 500k? 1M?

>From a technical point of view, I have little interest in my router
handling the fact that an office at the other side of the planet shut down
their router, and learning this via DFZ.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se