v6 deagg

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Fri Feb 20 03:07:44 UTC 2015

in a discussion with some fellow researchers, the subject of ipv6
deaggregation arose; will it be less or more than we see in ipv4?

in http://archive.psg.com/jsac-deagg.pdf it was thought that
multi-homing, traffic engineering, and the /24 pollution disease were
the drivers.  multi-homing seems to be increasing, while the other two
were stable as a relative measure to total growth.

so, at first blush, we thought v6 would be about the same as v4.

but then we considered that v6 allocations seem to be /32s, and the
longest propagating route seems to be /48, leaving 16 bits with which
the deaggregators can play.  while in v4 it was /24s out of a /19 or
/20, four or five bits.

this does not bode well.

randy