OT - Small DNS "appliances" for remote offices.

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Thu Feb 19 19:47:48 UTC 2015

If your time is worth anything, you can't beat the Mac Mini, especially for a branch office mission-critical application like DNS.

I just picked up a Mini from BestBuy for $480. I plugged it in, applied the latest updates, purchased the MacOSX Server component from the Apples Store ($19), and then via the Server control panel enabled DNS with forwarding.

Total time from unboxing to working DNS: 20 minutes.

The Server component smartly ships with all services disabled, in contrast to a lot of Linux distros, so it's pretty secure out of the box. You can harden it a bit more with the built-in PF firewall. The machine is also IPv6 ready out of the box, so my new DNS server automatically services both IPv4 and IPv6 clients.

You get Apple's warranty and full support. Any Apple store can do testing and repair.

And with a dual-core 1.4GHz I5 and 4GB memory, it's going to handle loads of DNS requests.

Of course, if your time is worth little, spend a lot of time tweaking slow, unsupported, incomplete solutions.

 -mel