OT - Small DNS "appliances" for remote offices.

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Wed Feb 18 19:37:26 UTC 2015

Hey Ray,

Most tiny routers with 64MB ram are able to run a cache dns service
while not all of them have the same level such as BIND but rather dnsmasq.
I think that it's not always a bad choice and it depends on what other
infrastructure needs you have in these remote locations.

Someone mentioned mikrotik and they use some kind of caching daemon
which might even be dnsmasq under the hood.

I would first make sure what is the reliability that you need which
means if you have a FW and Cisco then you will might want something more
then a basic TP-LINK router.(which maybe the right choice...)

Assuming this infrastructure is big enough you will prefer a basic
mikrotik for the cost and support.

All The Bests,
Eliezer