Intrusion Detection recommendations

Scavotto, Brian BScavotto at BBandT.com
Tue Feb 17 13:39:05 UTC 2015

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but for a business of your size...check out SecurityOnion. It's everything you need in one easy package and it's free.

-----Original Message-----
From: NANOG [mailto:nanog-bounces at nanog.org] On Behalf Of Andy Ringsmuth
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2015 12:40 PM
To: NANOG
Subject: Intrusion Detection recommendations

NANOG'ers,

I've been tasked by our company president to learn about, investigate and recommend an intrusion detection system for our company.

We're a smaller outfit, less than 100 employees, entirely Apple-based. Macs, iPhones, some Mac Mini servers, etc., and a fiber connection to the world. We are protected by a FreeBSD firewall setup, and we stay current on updates/patches from Apple and FreeBSD, but that's as far as my expertise goes.

Initially, what do people recommend for:

1. Crash course in intrusion detection as a whole 2. Suggestions or recommendations for intrusion detection hardware or software 3. Other things I'm likely overlooking

Thank you all in advance for your wisdom.

----
Andy Ringsmuth
andy at newslink.com
News Link – Manager Technology & Facilities
2201 Winthrop Rd., Lincoln, NE 68502-4158
(402) 475-6397    (402) 304-0083 cellular

The information in this transmission may contain proprietary and non-public information of BB&T or its affiliates and may be subject to protection under the law. The message is intended for the sole use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, distribution or copying of the message is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete the material from your system without reading the content and notify the sender immediately of the inadvertent transmission.