OT - Small DNS "appliances" for remote offices.

Ray Van Dolson rvandolson at esri.com
Wed Feb 18 14:28:16 UTC 2015

Hopefully not too far off topic for this list.

Am looking for options to deploy DNS caching resolvers at remote
locations where there may only be minimal infrastructure (FW and Cisco
equipment) and limited options for installing a noisier, more power
hugnry  servers or appliances from a vendor.  Stuff like Infoblox is
too expensive.

We're BIND-based and leaning to stick that way, but open to other
options if they present themselves.

Am considering the Soekris net6501-50.  I can dump a Linux image on
there with our DNS config, indudstrial grade design, and OK
performance.  If the thing fails, clients will hopefully not notice due
to anycast which will just hit another DNS server somewhere else on the
network albeit with additional latency.  We ship out a replacement
device rather than mucking with trying to repair.

There's also stuff like this[1] which probably gives me more horsepower
on my CPU, but maybe not as reliable.

Maybe I'm overengineering this.  What do others do at smaller remote
sites?  Also considering putting resolvers only at "hub" locations in
our MPLS network based on some latency-based radius.

Ray

[1] http://www.newegg.com/Mini-Booksize-Barebone-PCs/SubCategory/ID-309