Usage Graphing per Subnet

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Wed Feb 18 03:58:02 UTC 2015

On Wed, 18 Feb 2015, Methsri Wickramarathna wrote:

> My company has 3 upstream providers and we are serving more than 400
> customers ..In that case we have to manage our upstream capacity... When
> considering capacity managing normally we just transfer a  /24 from
> congested Up stream provider to non congested provider.
> Issue we have is we don't know exactly the usage of a /24 subnet before
> transfer.

Netflow/sflow/IPFIX is most likely going to be the easiest/cleanest way to
get the data you want.

I would also recommend announcing a consistent set of prefixes to all 3
providers, and using mechanisms like AS-PATH prepending and/or whatever
BGP communities each provider offers to do things like tweak preferences
or do selective prepending, rather than shuffling prefixes between
providers to achieve some level of traffic engineering, and also keeping
your announcements aggregated as much as possible.  Less routing table
bloat and churn is a good thing.

jms