Intrusion Detection recommendations

Rafael Possamai rafael at gav.ufsc.br
Fri Feb 13 20:45:46 UTC 2015

I am a huge fan of FreeBSD, but for a medium/large business I'd definitely
use a fairly well tested security appliance like Cisco's ASA. Depending on
the traffic you have on your fiber uplink, you can get a redundant pair of
ASAs running for less than $2,000 in the US. I just find it less stressful
to use a solution like ASA rather than worrying about patching your kernel
every so often and worrying about possible vulns in the ipfw/pf codes.
That, and you have to make sure EVERYTHING is taken into account when you
create your rules, which requires some intense knowledge on either ipfw, pf
or both.

I am not an expert in intrusion detection, so with regards to that, I'd
just setup a honeypot and monitor activity. You can also regularly run
penetration tests on your own network and see how well you are protected.
Just make sure the appropriate people know about these tests so you don't
get wrongfully reported.

Rafael