Intrusion Detection recommendations

Andy Ringsmuth andy at newslink.com
Fri Feb 13 17:40:06 UTC 2015

NANOG'ers,

I've been tasked by our company president to learn about, investigate and recommend an intrusion detection system for our company.

We're a smaller outfit, less than 100 employees, entirely Apple-based. Macs, iPhones, some Mac Mini servers, etc., and a fiber connection to the world. We are protected by a FreeBSD firewall setup, and we stay current on updates/patches from Apple and FreeBSD, but that's as far as my expertise goes.

Initially, what do people recommend for:

1. Crash course in intrusion detection as a whole
2. Suggestions or recommendations for intrusion detection hardware or software
3. Other things I'm likely overlooking

Thank you all in advance for your wisdom.

----
Andy Ringsmuth
andy at newslink.com
News Link – Manager Technology & Facilities
2201 Winthrop Rd., Lincoln, NE 68502-4158
(402) 475-6397    (402) 304-0083 cellular