Intellectual Property in Network Design

Skeeve Stevens skeeve+nanog at eintellegonetworks.com
Thu Feb 12 12:36:33 UTC 2015

Actually Bill... I have two (conflicting) perspectives as I said.... but to
clarify:

1) A customer asked 'Can you make sure we have the IP for the network
design' which I was wondering if it is even technically possible....

2) If I design some amazing solutions... am I able to claim IP.

My gut feeling is no to both of them... because, if it happen (VERY LIKELY)
that somewhere, someone designs an network to the exact same specifications
- to the config line - Would that mean they have infringed on my IP
unknowingly, and how would I even know if I was unique in the first
instance?

What I am really looking for is some working, experience, precedence that
backs up the view that IP on network design is actually not possible...
which is my gut feeling.

In the past I have always stated that, and it's never been challenged...
and nor is it in this case... but, it is an important think I guess many of
us should probably be aware of where we stand.

...Skeeve

*Skeeve Stevens - Founder & Chief Network Architect*
eintellego Networks Pty Ltd
Email: skeeve at eintellegonetworks.com ; Web: eintellegonetworks.com

Phone: 1300 239 038 ; Cell +61 (0)414 753 383 ; Skype: skeeve

Facebook: eintellegonetworks <http://facebook.com/eintellegonetworks> ;
Twitter: eintellego <https://twitter.com/eintellego>

LinkedIn: /in/skeeve <http://linkedin.com/in/skeeve> ; Expert360: Profile
<https://expert360.com/profile/d54a9>

The Experts Who The Experts Call
Juniper - Cisco - Cumulus Linux - Cloud - Consulting - IPv4 Brokering