MultiMode Fiber Connectivity... (850nm) Power Question

Eric Litvin eric at lumaoptics.net
Wed Feb 11 21:31:58 UTC 2015

Faisal,

You don't need to worry about power range when connecting SR or LR.
However, an ER or ZR on a loopback can damage Rx. The strength of the
receiving signal is always under the tolerance allowed. The 850nm Light is
attenuated very quickly because of the MMF and the 850nm light source. This
light source is more like an LED than a Laser.  The MTTF on any transceiver
is 50,000 hours at room temperature. A bigger factor is high temperature,
because the chip is a semiconductor.

Eric Litvin

President

eric at lumaoptics.net