UVerse question

Bill Merriam lists at billmerriam.com
Tue Feb 10 14:41:27 UTC 2015

On Sun, 8 Feb 2015 17:48:57 -0500
TR Shaw <tshaw at oitc.com> wrote:

> Any suggestions on what to tell ATT to get IPv6 added to a current
> account and upgrade a 2wire router to 4wire with halfway decent
> performance and capability?
>
> Any and all help would be appreciated.
>
> Tom

If ATT is still using 6rd then you don't need a hardware change to use
it. 6rd is like a 6to4 tunnel with special features.  You can run it on
your router or other machines.  Openwrt supports it.

Here is a brief how to, google for more help:
http://www.litech.org/6rd/

For ATT, basically, 2602:300::/28 (6rdPrefix/6rdPrefixLen) and
12.83.49.81 (6rdBRIPv4Address, which is an anycast) is all you need to
get it running. IPv4MaskLen is 0 (use the whole IPv4 address within
IPv6, but notice that due to 6rdPrefixLen being /28 (instead of the more
conventional /32) you have to do some one-nibble shifting, but the plus
side is that you do get a /60 in the end).

If your IP number is not static then your IPv6 address won't be either.

Of course you could always try 6to4, where the prefix is 2002::/16 and
the anycast relay router is 192.88.99.1.  This will work if ATT
resolves the anycast address.  Or you could set up a Hurricane Electric
6in4 tunnel.

So, with ATT residential, I think you get 3 half assed choices, 6rd,
6in4 and 6to4 (if they support it).

Bill