FTTx Active-Ethernet Hardware

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Tue Feb 10 13:34:30 UTC 2015

Check out Mikrotik, Planet and TP-Link.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com

----- Original Message -----

From: "Ray Soucy" <rps at maine.edu>
To: "NANOG" <nanog at nanog.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 7:31:22 AM
Subject: FTTx Active-Ethernet Hardware

One thing I'm personally interested in is the growth of municipal FTTx
that's starting to happen around the US and possibly applying that
model to highly rural areas (e.g. 10 mile long town with no side
streets, existing utility polls, 250 or so homes) and doing a
realistic cost analysis of what that would take.

What options are out there for Active-Ethernet hardware. Ideally
something that could handle G.8032 and 802.1ad in hardware for the
distribution side (24 or 48-port SFP metro switch) and something
inexpensive for the access side but still managed (e.g. a 4-port
switch with an SFP uplink supporting Q-in-Q).

I'm really looking for something cheap to keep costs down for a
proof-of-concept. The stuff from Cisco and even Ciena is a bit more
expensive than my target.

--
Ray Patrick Soucy
Network Engineer

T: 207-561-3526
F: 207-561-3531

MaineREN, Maine's Research and Education Network
www.maineren.net