IPv6 allocation plan, security, and 6-to-4 conversion

David Barak thegameiam at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 8 22:07:18 UTC 2015

> On Jan 30, 2015, at 9:49 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 30, 2015, at 18:07 , William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> How about this: when Verizon starts decommissioning its IPv4
>> infrastructure on the basis that IPv6 is widespread enough to no
>> longer require the expense of dual-stack, IPv6 will have achieved
>> ubiquity.
>
> Um, no. The judgment of one traditional telephone company is hardly where I would look to contemplate the future of the internet.

Then AT&T, Comcast, Cox, Level3, etc, could be reasonable examples?

I think the general point is worth considering - when v4 gear is regularly being pulled out of commission by large carriers because "who needs it?" and replaced with v6 only gear, we will have achieved true ubiquity.  I think you'll see v4 for quite a while.  Heck, I still run across SNA, Token Ring, and other really old stuff occasionally...

David Barak

Sent from a mobile device, please forgive autocorrection.