Dynamic routing on firewalls.

BPNoC Group bpnoc.lists at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 15:49:01 UTC 2015

On Sun, Feb 8, 2015 at 12:48 PM, Jeff McAdams <jeffm at iglou.com> wrote:

> You're missing the point.

I'm not missing, I'm just diverting the point.

As I mentioned from a Linux box example, the fact that it can both act as a
router and a firewall does not mean it should. I disagree with the
simplistic idea that if a firewall L3 forwards, it's a router, or if a
router has ACLs capabilities, it's a firewall.

Someone just illustrated how a mission-critical placed firewall protecting
a BGP router may do it bridged, without actually routing not a single extra
hop.

> I would never advocate for trying to deploy a Juniper MX in the role of a
> firewall to provide a security boundary.  I would never try to deploy a
> Juniper SRX to provide a huge number of GRE tunnel terminations or other
> sorts of aggregations of large numbers of connections or however you might
> describe a typical router role.

So we agree!

I completely agree that you don't want to overload any particular device
> with too many functions.  I've got MXes that terminate a large number of
> GRE tunnels, but I've also SRXes terminating a large number of IPSec
> tunnels that are basically acting as routers because they can handle the
> large quantity of crypto operations involved better than an MX.  But while
> the SRXes that terminate the large number of IPSec tunnels do some amount
> of firewalling, and I only did that grudgingly because of financial
> reasons.

Yes, I understand budget restrictions sometimes takes to accumulating
functions on the same box. But the notion that matters is that although a
firewall *can* be, technically, implemented in the same node, it just
belongs to somewhere else, in a distributed / separed box.

>   The firewalling will probably be moved off to a separate set of
> SRXes as this project grows.

Yeah, in the end we mostly agree.