Metaswitch ax1000 as a RR

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Feb 7 20:09:28 UTC 2015

On 7/Feb/15 21:55, Phil Bedard wrote:
> CSR1000v has definitey been around the longest.  XRv, vMX, and VSR all get
> built the same time as the router software now so they get features when
> the router software does.

Junos 14.2R2 just released a few days ago, which officially brings vMX
to the market. That said, pricing is not yet (officially) available, but
one can get code to test from your SE in the interim.
>   You will find more features in them than the
> CSR1000v and new service provider features will be in XR before XE.  For
> instance Cisco has something called Optimized Route Reflection where a vRR
> will simulate the IGP network rooted at each client and send the best BGP
> paths specific to each client.  It means you can have a centralized RR
> without running into the issue of it selecting paths based on its position
> in the network vs. the client.  That's a beta XRv thing but I don't know
> if you'll ever see it in XE.

This was one of the reasons shifting the RR functionality to a VM on x86
hardware compelled us to go this route. Much cheaper and more
sustainable to deploy a box at site to avoid this issue until the tech.
(BGP-ORR) becomes more widely available from the community/vendors. I
believe it's being worked on under:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-idr-bgp-optimal-route-reflection-08

Cheers,

Mark.