Checkpoint IPS

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at arbor.net
Thu Feb 5 21:47:31 UTC 2015

On 6 Feb 2015, at 4:24, Terry Baranski wrote:

> It highlights the importance of knowing what you're doing in the real
> world, on networks that exist and which you actually understand
> intimately,
> end-to-end.

Absolutely.  At least one of the parties in this discussion has such
knowledge of and experience on real-world networks of considerable
scale, and is not infrequently engaged hands-on in the preservation of
availability on said networks in fraught circumstances.

> And maybe also of not working for vendors, since these two things are
> often mutually exclusive.

Again, absolutely.  At least one of the parties has seen firsthand the
extremely negative impact of the devices in question on a broad array of
large-scale production networks ever since said devices were first
introduced in the 1990s, having been awakened at 0Dark30 on numerous
occasions with pleas for assistance because 'the network is down', 'the
data center is offline', 'our entire wireless broadband network is
down', et. al., due to the manifest failings of such devices.

Anyways, enough.  This topic has been thoroughly discussed multiple
times on this list and on others of an operational nature; if you
believe it wise to discount the well-understood negative impact of such
devices on availability, that is your choice.