Checkpoint IPS

Terry Baranski terry.baranski.list at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 19:26:07 UTC 2015

On 6 Feb 2015, at 11:46,  Valdis Kletnieks wrote:

> Count up the number of *actual* attacks they have stopped
> that wouldn't have been stopped otherwise

Many.

> and contrast it
> to the number of times they've been used as the *basis* for
> an attack (DDoS via state exhaustion, for starters)

Zero, on my networks.

> or their failure has caused operational issues.

Zero, on my networks. Unless "operation issues" means traffic fails over
without a hitch.

> Still think they're a good idea?

Yep. And thanks for asking.

If you can't deploy IPS's in such a way that they don't make your network
less secure via DDoS susceptibility, or reduce availability due to
non-existent or subpar redundancy/survivability engineering, then you
shouldn't deploy IPS's.

-Terry