Dynamic routing on firewalls.

Ray Soucy rps at maine.edu
Thu Feb 5 14:51:28 UTC 2015

It all depends how much of the firewall functionality is implemented in CPU.

The biggest problem is that firewalls that implement functionality in
software usually saturate CPU when stressed (e.g. DOS) and routing
protocols start dropping.

I'm a strong believer in having a router that can do basic filtering
in hardware (specifically uRPF) as the first line of defense in a DOS
attack and then using a firewall behind that to reach your security
policy goals.  We have a pretty large network so we've expanded the
concept of RTBH filtering internally and use a small ISR (currently
1841) to inject routes into our network to disable hosts using uRPF at
the first router they hit.  The entire thing is scripted and works
very well at containing problematic hosts centrally.

The other thing to watch out for IMHO is the NGFW hype.  I haven't
seen a NGFW that can actually do everything it claims to at the same
time and meet advertised performance levels.  You're much better off
splitting up the workload and having a series of components
architected to work with each other.

--
Ray Patrick Soucy
Network Engineer

T: 207-561-3526
F: 207-561-3531

MaineREN, Maine's Research and Education Network
www.maineren.net