Dynamic routing on firewalls.

Eugeniu Patrascu eugen at imacandi.net
Thu Feb 5 14:42:26 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 4:10 PM, David Jansen <david at nines.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have used dynamic routing on firewall in the old days. We did
> experience several severe outages due to this setup (OSPF en Cisco). As you
> will understand i’m not eager to go back to this solution but I am curious
> about your point of views.
>
> Is it advisory to so these days?

Any specific firewall in mind? As this depends from vendor to vendor.

I've had some issues with OSPF and CheckPoint firewalls when the firewalls
would be overloaded and started dropping packets at the interface level
causing adjacencies to go down, but I solved this by using BGP instead and
the routing issues went away.

On Juniper things tend work OK.

Other than this, make sure you don't run into asymmetric routing as
connections might get dropped because the firewall does not know about them
or packets arrive out of order and the firewall cannot reassemble all of
them.