Fwd: port 123 reflection attacks

alvin nanog nanogml at Mail.DDoS-Mitigator.net
Wed Dec 30 10:11:39 UTC 2015

hi ya colin

because cncert at cert.org.cn asked ?

> verification of what ?

i'd want to see if it's a simple port scan by a script kidddie vs
a more serious upcoming DOS attack from attackers with a "evil purpose"

they might just be poking around to find vulnerable ntpd servers ?

since there's been no satisfactory answer in 5 days,
in the meantime, i'd suggest:
- be sure ntpd is properly configured
- be sure to be running the latest ( no known exploits ) ntpd server
- ntpd servers should only be necessary for your servers ...
  and incoming connections from outside should never reach your ntpd
- use an alternative ntpd server/source on a different wire

> HSOFT ranges have been compromised by NTP reflection attacks

there's a difference between compromized vs port scanning ( probes )

- compromized... hsoft need to fix it ( upgrade and reconfigure ntpd )

- probes/scanners ... nothing much you can do other than limit your
  outgoing ( 123/udp) replies

- there's thousands of probes occuring constantly on various ports ...

> and the NTP servers hosted by HSOFT need to have a NTP update.

they better get going to update their ntpd and configs ...

i'd rattle hsoft's cage harder ... :-)

> This has been discussed on NANOG and I also sent information in Chinese to aid debug as well.
>
> Have had no response from HSOFT…

:-)

i wonder what else is occupying their time

magic pixie dust
alvin
# DDoS-Simulator.net