de-peering for security sake

Hugo Slabbert hugo at slabnet.com
Sun Dec 27 06:32:20 UTC 2015

On Fri 2015-Dec-25 08:55:24 +0530, Suresh Ramasubramanian <ops.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

>Hmm, has anyone at all kept count of the number of times such a discussion has started up in just the last year...

Not on an ongoing basis, but I was curious as well, so a quick mailbox
search for 2015:

http://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2015-January/072841.html
subject: Facebook outage?
author: Colin Johnston <colinj at gt86car.org.uk>

http://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2015-February/073556.html
subject: AOL Postmaster
author: Colin Johnston <colinj at gt86car.org.uk>

http://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2015-March/074251.html
http://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2015-March/074241.html
subject: Getting hit hard by CHINANET
author: Colin Johnston <colinj at gt86car.org.uk>

http://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2015-April/074432.html
subject: BGP offloading (fixing legacy router BGP scalability issues)
author: Colin Johnston <colinj at gt86car.org.uk>

http://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2015-July/077790.html
subject: 20-30Gbps UDP 1720 traffic appearing to originate from CN in last
24 hours
author: Colin Johnston <colinj at gt86car.org.uk>

http://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2015-December/083104.html
subject: de-peering for security sake
author: Colin Johnston <colinj at gt86car.org.uk>

I tried to be pretty wide in the search and filter through a decent chunk
of false positives manually, though of course I could have missed some.  It
does skip a few of the "all of their traffic is crap and abuse reports are
ignored" messages that don't *explicitly* call for wholesale country-level
blocks or de-peering.

>...and how many more times in the past 16 or so years?

I was curious, but not masochistic ;)

--
Hugo

hugo at slabnet.com: email, xmpp/jabber
PGP fingerprint (B178313E):
CF18 15FA 9FE4 0CD1 2319 1D77 9AB1 0FFD B178 313E

(also on textsecure & redphone)