IPv4 shutdown in mobile

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Dec 25 07:56:25 UTC 2015

On Fri, 25 Dec 2015, Mark Tinka wrote:

> It would be nice to hear about Europe, the Middle East Latin America and
> Canada as well, if anyone has any stories.

I know of at least one mobile provider in Sweden, Finland and Germany that
have IPv6 enabled for at least part of their device base.

Some have chosen IPv4v6 (providing dual stack) which means they can do
this with Apple devices today, some are IPv6 only which means they're like
T-Mobile waiting for the Apple App universe to come around to being IPv6
only supporting.

North America is by far the leader in number of IPv6 enabled customers
which

https://www.stateoftheinternet.com/trends-visualizations-ipv6-adoption-ipv4-exhaustion-global-heat-map-network-country-growth-data.html#networks

shows. However, things are happening all across the world now... I
wouldn't be surprised if we're already in the 100-300M IPv6 enabled
devices range by now...

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se