interconnection costs

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 02:10:14 UTC 2015

Hi,

The counter example is the Netnod Stockholm IX that allows you to connect
via dark fiber from anywhere within Stockholm. The other large european
exchanges also offer multiple connection options.

"Aren't availability, guaranteed service and remote hands an incentive to
do peering inside a third party colocation? "

That really depends on your situation and who you are. As a residential ISP
our business is not in a DC. If we have any equipment at all there, it
would only be a router. But usually we do not want a router there, we just
want a connection. So in fact we do not want access to the facility at all.

If you are a content provider, you might have servers and what not. Then
sure. Or if you are large IP transit provider, you might want to host a
router, so you can sell to other customers at the DC (if it is a transit
neutral DC).

This is why we now see the rise of remote peering.

Regards,

Baldur