interconnection costs

Reza Motamedi motamedi at cs.uoregon.edu
Wed Dec 23 19:05:40 UTC 2015

Thanks James,

I totally missed that section. Sorry about that. I think the picture is
becoming more clear in my head now.

Let me first make sure my terminology is right.
- With respect to peering, there are "transit" in which you pay the other
AS in 95-5 fashion or whatever, and "settlement-free" in which two ASes
agree not to charge each other for traffic exchange. In the latter, the
exchanged traffic is limited to the customer cone of the two ASes.
- Peering can happen either "publicly" though an IXP or "privately" through
directly linking the ports of two routers and exchanging BGP traffic.

Now, if I understood correctly, the difference between the cost of public
and private peering is that in public, one AS pays to be connected to the
IXP fabric, perhaps to the IXP provider and the colo provider. I'm assuming
IXP and colo provider are not always the same organization as it is the
case in SIX (Seattle IXP) and colo providers in Westin Building including
Equinix, ZAYO, etc. So the AS is being charged for becoming an IXP member,
and also to be allowed to take a line from its rack to the IXP's "meet me
room". Additionally if one decides to buy transit over the IXP it has to
pay the transit providers.
In Private peering however the AS pays the colo provider for the xconnect
per ASes that it wants to peer with. The cost of transit would be
additional if the peering is in fact a transit and not settlement free.

All the costs of HW, SW, personnel, administration, and perhaps
transmission between colos (including remote peering, being waved to
another location, tethering) would be the same, right?

Best Regards
Reza Motamedi (R.M)
Graduate Research Fellow
Oregon Network Research Group