Nat

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Dec 21 21:29:48 UTC 2015

Not quite true…

"What happens when we have to make an incompatible change to the fundamental packet header?” is the real challenge.

It happens that in the case of IPv4, we didn’t hit that particular wall until we needed a larger address.

In IPv6, it will probably be something related to the ability to scale the number of routing destinations if I had to guess, but it’s so far in the future that predicting it now is somewhere between highly suspect and utterly impossible.

There will be a next time… There is _ALWAYS_ a next time with any human system. We always end up changing how we use things and then needing to adapt those things to those changes. That’s not a bad thing. Hopefully we will learn some lessons from this process and make the next transition somewhat less painful. However, most of those lessons are behavioral and judging by our progress on climate change, I’m not convinced we’ve learned anything at all about addressing problems before they reach crisis status.

Owen