Nat

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Mon Dec 21 11:51:56 UTC 2015

Hi,

> > > persuading people to move to IPv6. Especially when everyone
> > > already understands DHCP in the v4 world.

<snip>

> > enterprise) and once they stop thinking "I want to do everything
> > in IPv6 in exactly the same way as I have always done in IPv4"

exactly.

as my thoughts often gather at any IPv6 deployment event I go to

"stop trying to shape IPv6 into your IPv4 model"

yes, there are annoyances...like older routers/clients not supporting
extensions to allow DNS/NTP etc from being fed in SLAAC...and clients
only supporting SLAAC and not DHCPv6 etc etc  but if you just SLAAC/DHCPv6
into your dual-stack environment then silly clients still get things via
DHCPv4....and you start getting IPv6 connectivity...and then work through
the NEXT part.

more effort should be spent on eg address management and network topology.
the client stuff is easy

THEN we get to the stuff we should be looking at and expending more effort
on... not 'how do I deploy IPv6?' but 'how do i switch off IPv4?'  ;-)

hopefully 2016 will be the year when more sites have IPv6-only networks
on their enterprise networks with eg 464XLAT etc

alan