Nat

Daniel Corbe dcorbe at hammerfiber.com
Sun Dec 20 17:55:34 UTC 2015

> On Dec 20, 2015, at 11:57 AM, Mike Hammett <nanog at ics-il.net> wrote:
>
> However, keeping back 64 bits for the host was a stupid move from the beginning. We're reserving 64 bits for what's currently a 48 bit number. You can use every single MAC address whereas IPS are lost to subnetting and other such things. I could have seen maybe holding back 56 bits for the host if for some reason we need to replace the current system of MAC addresses at some point before IPv6 is replaced.

EUI-64 isn’t the only thing out there that expects hosts to have 64-bit addresses.  That was only an example.

> There may be address space to support it, but is there nimble boundary space for it?

Yes.  Do the math.  If every end user got a /48 there’s still 281 *trillion* subnets to go around.   The limiting factor in IPv4 is that nobody expected to be able to connect 4 billion devices to the Internet when it was conceived.  I really doubt that we’ll see 281 trillion people walking around any time in the next 1000 generations of human civilization.

IPv6 is here to stay.

> The idea that there's a possible need for more than 4 bits worth of subnets in a home is simply ludicrous and we have people advocating 16 bits worth of subnets. How does that compare to the entire IPv4 Internet?

You’re still stuck on “LOOOOL ADDRESSES.”

> There is little that can be done about much of this now, but at least we can label some of these past decisions as ridiculous and hopefully a lesson for next time.

There isn’t going to be a next time.