Nat

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Dec 18 22:13:24 UTC 2015

In message <D299E31B.D159F%Lee at asgard.org>, Lee Howard writes:

> On 12/16/15, 7:14 PM, "NANOG on behalf of Mel Beckman"
> <nanog-bounces at nanog.org on behalf of mel at beckman.org> wrote:
>
> >Mark,
> >
> >Why? Why do WE "need" to force people to bend to our will? The market
> >will get us all there eventually.
>
> Some companies will run out of IPv4 addresses before others. When that
> happens, they have four choices:
>
> 1. Buy IPv4 addresses. But supply is going; in a couple of years, there
> will be nothing larger than a /16. And this raises costs, and therefore
> consumer prices.
> 2. Address sharing. Breaks p2p, some other things.
> 3. Address family translation. Breaks several things.
> 4. IPv6-only. Means only IPv6-enabled content is available.

Additionally just because you have enough IPv4 addresses it doesn't
mean that the other end has a IPv4 address that is not shared with
multiple customers.  You can't connect to them.

The ISP industry has totally !@#$$!@$ over the customers for too
long.  It should have made available IPv6 to everyone before the
first RIR ran out of addresses. Everyone of you that has not delivered
IPv6 to your customers already should be ashamed to call yourself
a ISP because you definitely have stopped delivering the Internet
to your customers (you only deliver half the Internet), you have
not Provided the Service that they need to be able to connect to
everyone out there in the world.  When your customers purchase a
Internet connection they *expect* to be able to reach *everyone*
not just those that have a IPv4 address to themselves because they
don't care about IPv4 vs IPv6.  They just want to be able to reach
everyone that is on the Internet and it is your *job* to deliver
that.  Thats what you get *paid* to do.  Not doing that is *fraud*.

It's time governments started issuing large fines for false advertising
for failure to make available IPv6 to your customers.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org