Nat

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Dec 18 21:55:00 UTC 2015

> On Dec 18, 2015, at 13:35 , Lee Howard <Lee at asgard.org> wrote:
>

> On 12/16/15, 7:14 PM, "NANOG on behalf of Mel Beckman"
> <nanog-bounces at nanog.org on behalf of mel at beckman.org> wrote:
>
>> Mark,
>>
>> Why? Why do WE "need" to force people to bend to our will? The market
>> will get us all there eventually.

Not all problems are well solved by markets, contrary to popular dogma.

In this case, those with the least ability to affect the outcome overall are the ones with
the greatest need for IPv6. Large incumbent organizations that have lots of IPv4 addresses
already have very little tangible market incentive to move, yet until they move, it’s very difficult
for smaller players to operate without IPv4 even though it’s now very hard for them to get
IPv4 addresses.

As such, it’s incumbent on each and every one of us to try and resolve this globally so as
to reduce the lasting impacts of our dependence on IPv4 globally.

Owen